Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Remembering Loved Ones






Grandmothers are truly a gift from God; some more so than others.  This is mine - MawMaw (Mae).  It is not an exaggeration when I say I don't know where I would be without her.  She raised me basically from the time I was born.  My parents "had" to get married because my mother got pregnant so it is no surprise that they also got divorced when I was only a few months old.  They lived with my grandmother (my father's mother) and when they separated, I stayed with my dad and MawMaw.  She took care of me while he worked and after he & my step-mom married I stayed with her.  I grew up knowing both of my parents, but I also knew I was better off living with and being raised by my grandmother. 

She had five children, one who died at age 4 from pneumonia, 12 grandchildren & 10 great-grandchildren at the time she passed away.  It is difficult for me to believe that it has been 13 years without her.  There have been many times over the years that something will come up & I will think - I need to call MawMaw & tell her that.  It is only for a second and then I remember that I can't.  Today, October 6, is her birthday and I felt I should try to get some of my thoughts written down somewhere. 

There are so many things I could write about MawMaw, but what sticks out in my mind are two lessons I feel are important for anyone, anytime.  The first is that no matter what you look like on the outside you have to "act pretty" to be pretty.  I remember so many times as a child if I went somewhere being told to "be nice & act pretty".  It's your attitude, manners & kindness that make you pretty.  The second isn't really something she said, just her day to day living.  No matter what is going on in your life, you just get up every day and do what needs to be done.  She was a very strong woman who worked hard and took care of her family.  We always had Sunday dinners, Thanksgiving and Christmas at our house.  MawMaw would do the majority, if not all, of the cooking and everyone was expected to be there. 

Growing up I didn't realize how much work this all was, but now as an adult I don't know how she did everything.  She was an excellent cook - just old-fashioned home cooked meals and anytime someone came to the house she tried to feed them. 

I know I am rambling, but PLEASE, if you have a parent or grandparent that you love, call them & tell them!  The worst part of growing up & getting older is losing those you love.  When you are a kid it never crosses your mind that they won't always be there & then one day you wake up & YOU are the adult, the older generation, so hold them close while you can.

Until next time,
Machelle

No comments:

Post a Comment